You are here:
The research of my group is centred on the immunology of skin cancers (melanoma, cutaneous lymphomas, epithelial cancers) and aims at understanding the antigenicity of tumour cells and regulation including the reasons for failure of tumour-specific immune responses. It is patient-based and translational. We employ all available technologies for antigen discovery such as proteome serology and seroscreening of expression libraries for antigens recognised by antibodies, and peptidomics involving extraction, isolation by HPLC and sequencing by mass spectrometry of peptides bound by major histocompatibility (MHC) molecules (HLA) plus sequence screens and bioinformatics to define T cell epitopes. Together with epitope design by molecular library and bioinformatics approaches this is used to develop T cell-directed vaccines. We use multiparameter flow cytometry with up to 14 colours, real-time PCR and toponomics (multiepitope immunohistochemistry with 200 and more specificities) to unravel the immune-regulatory processes in cancer. From these works we can expect information on molecular-pathological processes in cancer as sensed by the immune system, and leads for new strategies and targets for immunotherapy some of which have already been tested in clinical trials.
- Authors:Forgber M, Trefzer U, Sterry W, Walden PJournal:PLOS One Year:2009; Volume:4Issue:(4):Pages:5199.
- Authors:Hofmann MA, Kors C, Audring H, Walden P, Sterry W, Trefzer U
Journal:J of Immunother Year:2008; Volume:31:Pages:520-7.
Title:Phase I Evaluation of Intralesionally-Injected TLR9-Agonist PF-3512676 in Patients With Basal Cell Carcinoma or Metastatic Melanoma
- Authors:Losch FO, Bredenbeck A, Hollstein VM, Walden P, Wrede P
Journal:Hum Gen Year:2007; Volume:122:Pages:337-43.
Title:Evidence for a large double-cruci-form DNA structure on the X chromosome of human and chim-panzee
- Authors:Basu R, Syamal Roy S, Walden P
Journal:J Inf Dis Year:2007; Volume:195:Pages:1373-80.
Title:HLA class I-restricted T cell epitopes of the kmp-11 protein presented by Leishmania donovani-infected human macrophages
- Authors:Zehn D, Cyril J. Cohen CJ, Yoram Reiter Y, Walden P
Journal:Int Imm Year:2006; Volume:18:Pages:1647-54.
Title:Efficiency of peptide presentation by dendritic cells compared to other cell types: Implications for cross-priming
- Authors:Bredenbeck A, Losch FO, Sharav T, Eichler-Mertens M, Filter M, Givehchi A, Sterry W, Wrede P, Walden PJournal:J Immunol 2005 Year:2005; Volume:174:Pages:6716-24.
- Authors:Demine R, Walden PJournal:J Biol Chem Year:2005; Volume:280:Pages:17573-8.
- Authors:Lev A, Noy R, Oved K, Novak H, Segal D, Walden P, Zehn D, Reiter Y
Journal:Proc Natl Acad Sci Year:2004; Volume:101:Pages:9051-6.
Title:Tumor-specific Ab-mediated targeting of MHC-peptide complexes induces regression of human tumor xenografts in vivo
- Authors:Zehn D, Cohen CJ, Reiter Y, Walden P
Journal:Eur J Immunol Year:2004; Volume:34:Pages:1551-60..
Title:Extended presentation of specific MHC-peptide complexes by mature dendritic cells compared to other types of antigen-presenting cells
- Authors:Trefzer U, Herberth G, Wohlan K, Milling A, Thiemann M, Sherev M, Sparbier K, Sterry W, Walden P
Journal:Int J Cancer Year:2004; Volume:110:Pages:730-40.
Title:Vaccination with hybrids of tumor and dendritic cells induces tumor-specific T cell and clinical responses in melanoma stage III and IV patients